Six-Year-Old Boy Saves Father From Overdose

Six-Year-Old Boy Saves Father From Overdose

By Kelly Burch 02/03/17

The young boy's father is believed to have overdosed on fentanyl.

Image: 
Boy looking out of window.

A six-year-old New Hampshire boy is being called a hero, after he sought help when his dad became unresponsive during an opioid overdose. 

The boy, from Belmont, New Hampshire, flagged down a passing car when he noticed his father had become unresponsive. The driver came inside the home, began administering CPR, and called police. However, the boy’s father could not be revived until the fire department arrived and administered a dose of Narcan. 

The 31-year-old father is believed to have overdosed on fentanyl. While he was taken to the hospital, the boy was released to his relatives. It is not clear whether his father will face charges, but the Department of Children, Youth and Families was notified about the incident, WMTW reported. 

Although the story is shocking, it has become a fairly common scenario for first responders, according to Officer Kris Kloetz of Belmont police. “I know a lot of us have children ourselves, and it's definitely that we've seen more and more nowadays where there's kids involved and parents who are overdosing,” Kloetz said.

He said that the boy did what anyone witnessing an overdose should do—get help as soon as possible. “I commend that boy very much for going out and taking care of that,” Kloetz said. “He potentially saved his father's life at that point.”

Last year, the story of an Ohio couple who overdosed with a four-year-old boy in the backseat of their car—complete with graphic photos—went viral, shining a light on the children whose lives are touched by our country’s opioid epidemic. Although The Fix opted not to show the photos, the police department involved believed that they were necessary to drive their message home.

“We feel it necessary to show the other side of this horrible drug. We feel we need to be a voice for the children caught up in this horrible mess. This child can't speak for himself but we are hopeful his story can convince another user to think twice about injecting this poison while having a child in their custody,” they said in a statement at the time. 

This week, a Pennsylvania baby’s death was ruled a homicide due to parental neglect. The child’s parents fatally overdosed, and the baby was left to starve, dying about four days after her parents. Authorities said the case was a “heart-wrenching” example of the toll addiction can take on children. 

Please read our comment policy. - The Fix
Disqus comments
Kelly Burch Contrib.jpg

Kelly Burch writes about addiction and mental health issues, particularly as they affect families. Follow her on TwitterFacebook, and LinkedIn.

Disqus comments