Duterte Ends Bloody Philippine Drug War

By Bryan Le 10/16/17

President Rodrigo Duterte has reluctantly pulled out of his brutal war on drugs after a recent public outcry.

Image: 
Philippines police outside.
The killing finally ends.

Following the outrage over three teenagers killed in his violent war on drugs, President of the Philippines Rodrigo Duterte has suspended the bloody anti-drug campaign that has claimed at least 3,900 deaths, according to official reports from police. He was evidently not happy about being forced to end the massacre.

"This is better for the bleeding hearts and the media," said Duterte on Thursday. "I hope I will satisfy you."

Controversy befell the seemingly unstoppable campaign after it was found that police were lying about why they killed 17-year-old Kian Loyd delos Santos. Police claimed the teenager was killed following a shootout with police, but video evidence showed officers dragging Kian to a remote area, handing him a gun and ordering him to run. When Kian turned around, the Philippine police shot him twice in the head at close range.

This incident was a turning point in the public's support for the drug war, which experienced a massive drop afterwards.

In response, Duterte has suspended “Operation Double Barrel” and disbanded police anti-drug units nationwide.

The timing of his cessation of operations also seems to coincide with the upcoming ASEAN economic summit in the Philippines. Many world leaders including President Donald Trump are expected to attend. Most of the world has roundly condemned the lethal violent action Duterte has so enthusiastically endorsed.

Of all the world leaders attending the economic summit, Duterte may find at least one world leader who supports his violent actions—President Trump. On a phone call with Duterte earlier this year, Trump praised his anti-drug efforts.

"I just wanted to congratulate you because I am hearing of the unbelievable job on the drug problem," Trump said. "Many countries have the problem, we have a problem, but what a great job you are doing and I just wanted to call and tell you that."

In his speech announcing the cessation of his violent anti-drug operations, Duterte criticized the European ambassadors who have condemned his aggressive strategies and threatened to ban all of them.

"You think we are a bunch of morons here," Duterte said. "Now the ambassadors of those countries listening now, tell me, because we can have the diplomatic channel cut tomorrow. You leave my country in 24 hours, all of you."

Please read our comment policy. - The Fix
Disqus comments
bryan-le.jpg

Bryan Le grew up in the 90's, so the Internet is practically his third parent. This combined with a love for journalism led him to The Fix. When he isn't fulfilling his duties as Editorial Coordinator, he's obsessing over fancy keyboards he can't justify buying. Find Bryan on LinkedIn or Twitter

Disqus comments