Top Belfast DJ Dies From 'Speckled Rolex' Ecstasy

By McCarton Ackerman 12/31/13

Gerard Mulholland was one of several people at the house party poisoned by ecstasy laced with PMMA.

Photo via

One of the top DJ’s in Belfast, Northern Ireland, passed away last weekend from a drug overdose while hosting a two-day house party at his apartment. Gerard Mulholland reportedly died after taking “speckled Rolex,” a yellow ecstasy pill that costs about $3.50 each and is cheaper than a pint of beer in the country. Four other people attending the party were hospitalized and are still receiving treatment for similar drug overdoses.

Mulholland’s Facebook page was flooded with messages and photos from grieving fans after the tragedy. “Gerard was a true gentleman. Sleep well, the word is a little less shiny without you in it,” wrote one person. “I can’t believe you’re gone, you were one of the most nicest people you could ever meet. You always had time for everyone, such a kind man.”

Eight deaths throughout Northern Ireland in 2013, including seven in the capital city of Belfast, have been linked to the pill. Many of the speckled Rolex pills have been laced with PMMA, a bulking agent that causes the body to overheat. In response to the tragedy, SDLP councillor Brian Heading said he is making himself available to dispose of the drugs with no questions asked. Local community workers and clergy have also set up drop boxes where people can dispose of the pills which will then be passed on to police.

“It is clear that whoever may be supplying this drug has no regard whatsoever for human life,” he said. “But we need to get the message out there that there is no such thing as a recreational drug.”

Please read our comment policy. - The Fix

McCarton Ackerman is a freelance writer and editor living in Portland, Oregon. He has been a contributor for The Fix since October 2011, writing on a wide range of topics ranging from medical marijuana in Colorado to the world's sexiest drug smugglers. Follow him on Linkedin and Twitter.