Pot Brownie Sends Seven Elementary-School Kids to Hospital

By Nina Puro 03/13/13

A fifth-grader brings it to school—leading to vomiting, dizziness and confusion.

Child-unfriendly Photo via

Seven students from an elementary school in Costa Mesa, California have been hospitalized after ingesting marijuana brownies. The children, ages 10-12, reportedly suffered vomiting, dizziness and confusion. Initial reports say they only took one bite each—and that the brownie was brought to school by a fifth-grader, who also got sick. Costa Mesa police are talking with the parents of each child affected. Officials say that there may be disciplinary action against the boy who brought in the brownie, if he knew it was cannabis-laced—and legal action against the boy's parents if they knew that their son had it. Medical marijuana is legal and highly available in California; non-medical possession of less than an ounce has been decriminalized to an infraction. 

Please read our comment policy. - The Fix
nina puro.jpeg

Nina Puro is a regular contributor to The Fix. Her poetry and essays have appeared in publications such as Third CoastPleiades and Harper Palate. You can find Nina on Linkedin or follow her on Twitter.