Two Thirds of Patients Abuse Rx Drugs | The Fix
facebook twitter RSS
HOT TOPICS: Alcoholism  Addiction  AA  Cocaine  Heroin

Two Thirds of Patients Abuse Rx Drugs

Urine sample analysis unmasks the disobedient patients who fuel America's prescription drug problem.


Who's not being honest with the doctor?

By McCarton Ackerman


| Share

America's pill popping problem has been recognized as out of control, but a new study sheds light on exactly how out of control. The clinical laboratory company Quest Diagnostics analyzed nearly 76,000 urine samples from doctors' offices and Quest's own patient service centers, and found that 63% of patients aren't following their doctors' orders. Around 40% of these disobedient patients aren't taking the painkillers, sedatives or amphetamines prescribed for them—instead they skip doses and sell their extra medications, either to make a tidy profit or to pay for the high cost of health care. The other 60% are taking meds that weren't prescribed for them. Some even combine different prescription drugs they've obtained, which can be extremely dangerous. Such behavior is consistent across income levels, gender and different levels of health coverage. “People have such tremendous access to very powerful prescription drugs,” says Jon R. Cohen, Quest’s chief medical officer. The prevalence of prescription pill abuse—most of which is facilitated by addicts' friends and family members—has led to the DEA hosting an annual National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day, which will take place this Saturday for the fourth year running.

Rehabilitation Directories

Most Popular
Sober Living
Normies React to the 12 Steps

"I think admitting to having a problem in general is the right first step, but to admit powerlessness is unhealthy. .. I think admitting powerlessness is more harmful because it doesn't help. Admitting that you want and need help is more useful after admittance."

The Rehab Review
Cliffside Malibu

The “beach-house-relaxed” Cliffside Malibu claims to provide an oasis for recovering addicts and alcoholics. And that’s just what you'll get—if you’ve got the cash.

Morningside Recovery

For a “rehab near the beach” experience that isn’t quite as costly as similar SoCal competitors, head to this Newport Beach treatment facility.

AToN Center

Whether you’re interested in the 12 Steps, SMART Recovery, or holistic treatments, this luxurious, appealing and commendable 4.5 star (our system doesn't yet show the 1/2 star) San Diego rehab has a program for you. 


This exclusive Northern California rehab is all about client choice—as well as golf outings, Buddhist field trips and keeping up with the office.

Capo By The Sea

Capo By The Sea offers an executive rehab program complete with medical detox and a focus on dual-diagnosis issues, as well as an outpatient option in an environment that exudes the kind of beach house optimism one would expect from an Orange County recovery outfit.

Journey Malibu

Want many of the luxury amenities A-listers have come to expect—including an enormous backyard with a pool and patio, an herb garden, a volleyball net and a spectacular vista of the Santa Monica mountains—with a recovery program to match?

The Ultimate Guide to Rehab

What you need to know when choosing an addiction treatment center.

the fix tv