Synthetic Drug NBOMe Responsible For Three Deaths In Central Indiana
The LSD-like synthetic that can be vaporized, swallowed, or inhaled has put the U.S. and some European countries on high alert.
A new drug called NBOMe has been wreaking havoc across the country, with the synthetic substance reportedly being the cause of three deaths in Central Indiana this year.
Sixteen-year-old Samuel Motsay was reportedly the latest casualty after police found remnants of NBOMe in his bedroom yesterday. Two people are also in custody in relation to his death for having reportedly supplied the drugs, while police are still searching for 19-year-old Jordan Adamowicz.
NBOMe is a psychedelic drug that has only become a common recreational substance within the last four years. It can be swallowed, vaporized, or inhaled with effects reportedly lasting anywhere between four to 10 hours. But while some of the side effects are similar to LSD and can include increased mental and physical stimulation, as well as feelings of empathy, the negative side effects are more widely reported and can include paranoia, disassociation, and tremors.
More than 20 deaths in total have been reported from NBOMe, while numerous other instances of hospitalization have also been confirmed. The U.S. has classified it as a Schedule I drug and several European countries have banned it including Sweden, Romania, and the U.K. Because of the highly altered state people are in after taking the drug, it can often lead to violent confrontations when being confronted by police.
“People that have taken it, it has taken three or four police or EMTS to get the person in handcuffs," said Rick Allen, Director of the Georgia and Narcotics Drug Agency. "You could have a heart attack before it was all over with if you've gotten too aggressive with it."