Kentucky Inmate Dies From Methadone-Soaked Underwear
Corey McQueary died after another inmate returned to jail with the drug-soaked contraband.
A Kentucky inmate who was out of jail on a court-ordered furlough won’t be leaving the facility anytime soon after being charged with the overdose death of another inmate.
Corey McQueary died on August 21 at the Jessamine County Detention Center after allegedly overdosing on methadone. Michael Jones was charged with murder after reportedly bringing a pair of underwear soaked in methadone back into the jail and giving out pieces of it to his cellmates. He also faces additional charges of promoting contraband and possession of a controlled substance.
Jailer Jon Sailee said that all the standard procedures were followed when Jones re-entered the jail. "When somebody comes in the facility either from a furlough or any other occurrence, they're searched, their clothing's searched, strip searched, any other kind of search that we feel is necessary," he explained. "If something is in their garment and it's colorless, odorless, it would be very difficult, almost impossible to detect from the naked eye.”
Last month, a convicted drug dealer died in an Irish prison after swallowing a bag of heroin and having it burst in his stomach. Thirty-year-old Pascal Doyle swallowed it in an attempt to hide the contraband from other officers. He had over 60 previous convictions that included drug dealing, theft, and public order offenses.
A similar incident occurred at the Mountjoy Prison in 2009, when 24-year-old Mark Turner Kelly died from a combination of heroin and sedative drug toxicity.
Last May, an unnamed inmate at Erie County Prison in Pennsylvania died from lethal doses of two contraband drugs. Records reveal that paramedics have been called to the prison three times since the first of the year for unresponsive inmates related to drug overdoses.