COBRA Rehab and Video Game Addiction Coverage
Diagnosing Video Game Addiction
An Internet gaming addiction study published in the Psychological Research and Behavior Management journal found addiction present on a wide and varied scale; while only 0.2% of German's were found to be addicted to Internet gaming, the number in Korea was a staggering 50%. This discrepancy is likely due to the lack of internationally recognized diagnostic criteria, but many experts agree on the following list of symptomatic behaviors, most of all of which can be treated via your COBRA video game addiction coverage:
- Preoccupation with playing video games or planning future gaming experiences
- Desire to repeatedly relieve past video game experiences
- Hiding or lying about the amount of time spent playing video games
- Sacrificing familial responsibilities in order to play
- Failure to honor work, school, or personal commitments due to excessive playing
- Withdrawing from normal social interaction
- Inability to stop or lessen the play time despite a desire to do so
There are also physical symptoms associated with video addiction:
Sponsored adThis sponsor paid to have this advertisement placed in this section.
- Eye strain
- Headaches or migraines
- Carpal tunnel syndrome or hand/wrist pain
- Poor personal hygiene
- Weight gain or loss
- Neck or back pain due to poor posture while playing
If you or a loved one has any of these symptoms of video game addiction, your COBRA video game addiction coverage may provide the benefits you want to get the help you need.
Treatment for Video Game Addiction
There are no set guidelines for the treatment of video game addiction. Instead, your addiction treatment specialists will formulate a plan created with your specific needs in mind. This plan may include medication to treat depression or aid in impulse control, behavioral therapy designed to address negative behaviors and interpret them in a more positive manner, and counseling sessions that give you an outlet for your emotions as well as support from experts and like-minded individuals who know your struggle on a very personal level.
How Much Will Recovery Cost?
Given video game addiction's relatively new status as a recognized disorder your insurance policy might not include COBRA video game addiction coverage, but you may still be able to receive treatment under the umbrella of mental health disorders or cognitive or behavioral issues. These treatments will address your compulsive behaviors, identify any contributing factors or coexisting dependencies, and help you to establish a long-term plan that will assist you in not only achieving recovery but also maintaining it.