Alex Jones Says Modern Weed Too Strong, George Soros To Blame

By Keri Blakinger 04/24/17

The 43-year-old conspiracy theorist claims that he smokes pot almost once a year “to monitor its strength, which is how law enforcement does it.”

Alex Jones during an appearance on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast.
Alex Jones during an appearance on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast. Photo via YouTube

If you got stoned on 4/20, thank billionaire George Soros for that dank bud. 

In yet another bizarre twist in his ongoing child custody trial, conspiracy theorist Alex Jones copped to smoking weed once a year—but said it’s too strong these days. Why? Because George Soros. Duh. 

In judging Jones’ capacity to keep his kids, the topic of the ranting, screaming Infowars host’s drug and alcohol use came up, sprinkled with some predictably head-scratching claims. 

The 43-year-old told the court that he smokes pot almost once a year “to monitor its strength, which is how law enforcement does it.”

Late-night comedian Stephen Colbert later poked fun at Jones’ unsubstantiated claim. 

”Yes, everyone remembers that one Law & Order episode every year where the detectives burn down the dank bud then sit on the couch with a bunch of snacks and binge-watch Law & Order,” he said. “It’s pretty trippy.” (Afterward, Colbert launched into a fabulous impersonation of a Jones-like character and you should definitely check it out below.)

As a result of his yearly "testing" routine, Jones said on 4/20 that he’d determined that pot is too strong these days—and it’s somehow attributable to billionaire political donor George Soros, the quintessential figurehead for the liberal elite, who Jones says has “brain damaged a lot of people.” 

One video the judge approved for inclusion in the trial includes footage of Jones smoking up on Joe Rogan’s podcast, which was filmed in California where pot is legal. He also admitted to smoking pot in Texas, where it is not legal.

The ongoing high-profile trial pits the raving conspiracy theorist against his ex, Kelly Jones. The mother of three is seeking sole or joint custody of the couple’s children, who have lived with their father since the 2015 divorce. 

“He’s not a stable person,” Kelly Jones said. “He says he wants to break Alec Baldwin’s neck. He wants J-Lo to get raped.” And his notoriously outlandish and divisive commentary is broadcast from right inside the Travis County home where the couple’s 9- and 12-year-old daughters and 14-year-old son all live, his ex-wife alleges.

So far, the trial has often focused on whether his on-air hijinks match his IRL behavior. “He’s playing a character,” one of his attorneys argued at a pretrial hearing. “He is a performance artist.”

Although the bizarre courtroom showdown has attracted ample media attention, the prior divorce records are sealed—despite Kelly Jones’ request to make them public—and the current judge has slapped a restrictive gag order on all litigants, the My Statesman reported.

So far, no chemtrail-coated aliens have shown up to testify on Jones’ behalf, but the trial still features all the oddity of a three-ring courtroom circus. 

“You haven’t had any chili this morning, have you, Mr. Jones?” a lawyer began the cross-examination one day. The seemingly off-beat line of questioning referenced a March 4 deposition in which Jones claimed he couldn’t remember the names of his children’s teachers because he’d just eaten a “big ol’ bowl of chili.” (We’re left to assume the CIA hired liberal elite shape-shifters to tamper with his nosh, but the Infowars host didn’t specify.)

Jones at one point claimed his site is “90% hard news”—presumably the other 10% is drug-induced hallucinations from that George Soros weed—and also that he “110%” believes in what he stands for.

Despite his lawyers’ claims that his on-air persona is an act, Jones has been busy defending his authenticity. “They’ve got articles out today that say I’m a fake, all of this other crap,” he said in an Infowars video released last week. “Total bull.” 

Although he has amassed a large following, Jones has peddled theories positing the government’s involvement in both the Oklahoma City bombing and the September 11 attacks. He's also claimed that the Sandy Hook shooting was staged

On Friday, Jones requested a mistrial after the jury was shown a tape of him—from the Joe Rogan podcast—supporting President Donald Trump’s controversial 2005 pussy-grabbing comment. The judge denied Jones’ request, and the two-week trial will continue this week in Austin. 

Please read our comment policy. - The Fix

Keri Blakinger is a former drug user and current reporter living in Texas. She covers breaking news for the Houston Chronicle and previously worked for the New York Daily News and the Ithaca Times. She has written about drugs and criminal justice for the Washington Post, Salon, Quartz and more. She loves dogs and is not impressed by rodeo food. Find Keri on LinkedIn and Twitter.