Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead of Apparent Heroin Overdose
The actor had gone through detox in May of last year.
Philip Seymour Hoffman, 46, was found dead in his Greenwich Village apartment earlier today, according to the New York Times. Investigators found Hoffman with a syringe in his arm. He is believed to have died of a heroin overdose. According to a law-enforcement source, “He was shooting up in the bathroom.”
After graduating from NYU, Hoffman developed a serious drug addiction. “It was anything I could get my hands on... I liked it all," he told 60 Minutes in 2006. But after attending rehab at age 22, he stayed sober for twenty-three years. Hoffman credited the age at which he got sober for his ongoing recovery. "I have so much empathy for these young actors that are 19 and all of a sudden they're beautiful and famous and rich. I'm like, 'Oh my God. I'd be dead,' he said. "I think if I had... that kind of money and stuff... so, yeah [I would have died]."
Hoffman relapsed in 2012 and completed a 10 day detox in May of last year, claiming that he had been abusing pills for over a year but had only used heroin for a week before seeking treatment.
Hoffman is survived by his partner, Mimi O’Donnell, and their children, Cooper, Tallulah, and Willa.