Great Booze-Free Holiday Alternatives
Just because you don’t drink alcohol, there’s no reason you need to make like Scrooge and banish festive drinks and classically alcoholic dishes from your holiday bashes. Here are some tasty recipes that’ll please both your recovery buddies and social drinkers alike—so you can celebrate in stellar non-alcoholic style at your Christmas and New Year’s parties.
Apple Pie Spiced Cider (courtesy of Martha Stewart)
Ingredients (serves 6):
• 1 1/4 quarts apple cider
• 3 tablespoons firmly packed light-brown sugar
• 7 whole cinnamon sticks, (6 sticks for garnish)
• 1 teaspoon ground allspice
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• Ground cloves
• Freshly grated nutmeg
In a medium saucepan, whisk together cider, sugar, spices, and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Remove from heat. Strain into a pitcher; discard solids. Serve in mugs, garnished with cinnamon sticks.
Non-Alcoholic White Russian (courtesy of eHow)
Ingredients and directions (serves 1):
• Fill a medium-sized glass with chunks of ice.
• Pour a shot of non-alcoholic, non-sweetened coffee-flavored syrup into the glass. Most of these syrups are colorless, so you may need to add a little chocolate syrup to the mixture in order to get the characteristic shade of a White Russian.
• Throw two shots of half-and-half or cream into the glass. Stir with a swizzle stick.
• Serve and drink immediately.
Sleigh Driver (courtesy of EatingWell)
Ingredients (serves 10):
• 1 cup water
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
• 3 pears, chopped into bite-size pieces, divided
• 2 quarts apple cider
• 1 lemon, halved and sliced
• 1 tablespoon ground allspice
• 1 cup fresh cranberries
• 2 tablespoons alcohol-free vanilla extract (available from CooksVanilla)
• Combine water, sugar, ginger and 1 pear in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Strain out the solids and return the mixture to the pan.
• Add the remaining pears, cider, lemon and allspice and heat over medium-high heat, stirring often, for 15 minutes.
• Add cranberries and vanilla and reduce the heat to medium-low (the liquid should be simmering, not boiling). Let simmer for 10 minutes more. Serve in heat-safe mugs.
Non-Alcoholic Fruit Punch (courtesy of Cooks):
Ingredients and directions (serves 37):
• 1 (12 oz.) can frozen orange juice
• 1 (12 oz.) can frozen lemonade
• 1 (46 oz.) can pineapple juice
• 2 quarts ginger ale
• 1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen strawberries
• Mix frozen juices per instructions on cans. Add pineapple juice. Stir in strawberries. Add ginger ale at time of serving. (To add to appearance, a ring can be made using the above juices and frozen in a Jello mold.)