GWAR Frontman’s Death Ruled Accidental Overdose
David Brockie, also known as Oderus Urungus, was found dead last March.
Former lead singer and one of the original members of the thrash metal band GWAR, David Brockie, died of an accidental heroin overdose two months ago, according to the Virginia State Medical Examiner’s Office.
Brockie was found unresponsive in his North Richmond, Va. home on March 23 by a roommate. It was reported at the time that the police found drug-related items on the scene, but wouldn't disclose what kind of drugs until the toxicology report was concluded. Now the medical examiner has determined that Brockie's death was caused by “acute heroin toxicity.”
While the results of the report were conclusive, the singer steadfastly refused to admit he was into drugs when alive. “I’m not a drug addict. I do like alcohol and I like weed,” Brockie said in one of his last interviews. “And this is one thing I will say to every single band out there…don’t get f*cked up with the coke or heroin, all that bulls*it. Just drink and smoke weed.”
Brockie isn’t the first member of GWAR to die from drug-related causes. In 2011, guitarist Cory “Flattus Maximus” Smoot died from heart failure due to a pre-existing coronary artery disease. But he also had cocaine and opiates in his system at the time of his death.