Actor Cory Monteith Dies of Suspected Overdose
The 31-year-old Glee star had been open about his past relapses and recovery from addiction.
Glee star Cory Monteith was found dead on Saturday night in a Vancouver, British Columbia hotel room, just a few months after completing rehab for substance abuse. He was 31 years old. An autopsy is scheduled for today, but many suspect that his long battle with drug and alcohol addiction may have been the cause of his death. Monteith, who underwent a 30-day rehab stint in April, has been open about his history of addiction that began in his early teens. "I'm lucky on so many counts—I'm lucky to be alive," the actor said in a 2011 interview, revealing that he had started smoking pot and drinking by age 13, and descended into addiction by age 16. After multiple attempts to get clean, he finally got—and stayed—sober at age 19 after he was caught stealing a large sum of money from his family. "I was done fighting myself," he said. Monteith sustained his sobriety for well over a decade, and after rising to stardom on the musical comedy Glee, said he wanted to share his story in the hopes of helping others. "I don't want kids to think it's OK to drop out of school and get high, and they'll be famous actors, too," he said. "But for those people who might give up: Get real about what you want and go after it. If I can, anyone can." After his most recent relapse, Monteith's girlfriend and Glee co-star Lea Michele expressed support of his choice to go into rehab, declaring: "I love and support Cory and will stand by him through this. I am grateful and proud he made this decision."