Dozens of Fans Hospitalized After Boston EDM Concert
The rash of hospitalizations was the latest in Molly-related incidents that have plagued various music scenes across the world.
Thirty-six attendees at a electronic dance music (EDM) concert in Boston, many of whom were minors, were hospitalized Wednesday night for what appeared to be problems related to drugs and alcohol.
Approximately 50 people were examined for medical issues at a concert by DJ Avicii (“Wake Me Up”) at TD Garden, with 36 going to Boston-area hospitals for what was reported as non-life-threatening injuries. Boston police superintendent in chief William G. Gross told the Boston Globe that “there may have some illicit drug involved, but none have been identified."
However, ABC News asserted that the club drug MDMA, or Molly, was most likely the culprit, given the convulsions and other physiological effects associated with the drug that were reportedly observed by other attendees. One concertgoer reported seeing a young woman rendered unconscious by an unspecified substance before reviving and becoming physically ill. She was later removed from the venue by Emergency Medical Services providers.
The incident is the latest black eye to the EDM scene, which has seen its share of drug-related emergencies and even fatalities over the past few years. The Electric Daisy Carnival, a traveling dance music festival, has experienced the deaths of several concertgoers from drug overdoses, most recently two individuals at the festival’s Las Vegas dates this month.
Molly has been cited as the cause of death for two concertgoers at New York’s Electric Zoo festival in 2013 and a woman attending a performance by DJ Zed at Boston’s House of Blues that same year. Avicii’s concert in Toronto earlier this year was also marked by numerous hospitalizations, but only one of those was reported to be drug-related, with the rest attributed to over-consumption of alcohol.