Coast Guard Struggles To Contain Drug Smuggling After Budget Cuts | The Fix
facebook twitter RSS
HOT TOPICS: Alcoholism  Addiction  AA  Cocaine  Heroin

Coast Guard Struggles To Contain Drug Smuggling After Budget Cuts

Thanks to sequestration, the Coast Guard captures only a fraction of its proposed goal of drugs entering the United States.



By McCarton Ackerman


| Share

The recent budget cuts to the U.S. Coast Guard brought about by sequestration have been directly impacting their ability to combat drug smuggling at sea. The Coast Guard has been tasked with overseeing six million square miles of ocean that includes the Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico, and eastern Pacific, in hopes of reducing the supply of drugs heading toward the U.S.

But while the Obama Administration set a goal of capturing 40 percent of the drugs entering the country by 2015, Admiral Robert Papp, U.S. Coast Guard commandant, confirmed that the agency is only capturing 20 percent of the drugs due to limited resources. Papp said the Coast Guard is only able to move on 39 percent of suspect vessels moving toward South America and Central America; the remaining 61 percent are simply ignored.

The lack of resources is directly reflected in the decrease of captured drugs last year as compared to 2012. The agencies seized 194,800 pounds of cocaine last year, down 41,000 pounds from 2012. Marijuana seizures also dropped by 43,500 pounds during that same period, from 124,500 to 81,000. Papp said the $300 million lost by the Coast Guard because of sequestration has devastated many of their mandatory programs, but he remains hopeful that their proposed budget of $9.7 billion in 2015 will rectify some of the shortages.

Until recently, the Coast Guard had a reputation for being extremely proficient in intercepting drugs being smuggled at sea. In March 2012, they teamed with the Honduran Navy to intercept a “drug sub” in the Western Caribbean, which marked their 30th interception in six years.

Rehabilitation Directories

Most Popular
Sober Living
PMS: A Natural Threat to Sobriety

I remember slamming things around the kitchen one night and feeling like I’d lost my mind. I was angry about something so minor, I literally can’t remember what it was and I don’t know that I knew then either

The Rehab Review
Cliffside Malibu

The “beach-house-relaxed” Cliffside Malibu claims to provide an oasis for recovering addicts and alcoholics. And that’s just what you'll get—if you’ve got the cash.

Morningside Recovery

For a “rehab near the beach” experience that isn’t quite as costly as similar SoCal competitors, head to this Newport Beach treatment facility.

AToN Center

Whether you’re interested in the 12 Steps, SMART Recovery, or holistic treatments, this luxurious, appealing and commendable 4.5 star (our system doesn't yet show the 1/2 star) San Diego rehab has a program for you. 


This exclusive Northern California rehab is all about client choice—as well as golf outings, Buddhist field trips and keeping up with the office.

Capo By The Sea

Capo By The Sea offers an executive rehab program complete with medical detox and a focus on dual-diagnosis issues, as well as an outpatient option in an environment that exudes the kind of beach house optimism one would expect from an Orange County recovery outfit.

Journey Malibu

Want many of the luxury amenities A-listers have come to expect—including an enormous backyard with a pool and patio, an herb garden, a volleyball net and a spectacular vista of the Santa Monica mountains—with a recovery program to match?

The Ultimate Guide to Rehab

What you need to know when choosing an addiction treatment center.

the fix tv