Australia's Top Junior Tennis Player Banned For Ecstasy Use
Bradley Mousley won't be allowed to compete again until next year.
Australia’s top-ranked junior tennis player won’t be headed to the US Open next week. Bradley Mousley was slapped with a one-year ban by a Tennis Australia tribunal over taking an ecstasy tablet during an 18th birthday party.
Mousley, currently the No. 17 ranked junior in the world, tested positive for two substances found in ecstasy during a tournament last March in Melbourne and later admitted his drug use to the tribunal. He will not be eligible to compete in tournaments until May 30 of next year. The tribunal concluded that Mousley had no intention of using ecstasy to enhance his tennis and only took the tablet because he wanted to dance at the party, but showed “significant indifference” to their anti-doping code.
The initial proposed ban was supposed to be for two years and Mousley’s father and coach, Craig, said that Tennis Australia was “relentless” in pursuing this. Their lawyer confirmed that they will appeal for a reduced ban of around three months.
“It is a long way back from there, [but] we feel it was a small victory that he was only given one year,” said Craig. “As an 18-year-old he is a very young man who has made a decision which he regrets, not just how it has affected him but everyone around him.’’
This isn’t the first time that a player has received a ban over taking drugs that aren’t performance-enhancing. Spanish doubles player Nuria Llagostera Vives received a two-year ban after last year’s US Open when she tested positive for methamphetamine, which was effectively career-ending for the 34-year-old. Canadian Simon Larose also retired in 2005 after testing positive for cocaine.
American Wayne Odesnik, who received a one-year suspension in 2010 after being caught trying to smuggle Human Growth Hormone into Australia, received a wild card into this year’s US Open.